Thursday, June 10, 2010

Right, so I meant to actually talk about the dress...

About a year and a half ago, I found this utterly horrendous, train-wreck fabulous fabric in the red tag Home Dec section of my local JoAnn's. It's candy pink and leaf green. Synthetic, of course, but for $3/yard, I wasn't about to argue. So I purchased an unreasonable ammount of it, no project in mind.

Sometime later, a few friends of mine started a 7th Sea LARP. Faced with the opportunity to wear something ridiculous to a ball set in an alternate reality, wherein the Golden Age of Piracy took place sometime between Dante and Napolean, I knew I couldn't let the second girliest piece of fabric in my stash wait any longer.

Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of the construction. Mostly, I made stuff up. The bodice is boned with cable ties, fairly heavily in the front and lightly in back. Having seen the pictures, it could use a few bones in the sides.

The skirt was originally three widths of the fabric, but ended up being four after I realized I'd cut the bodice a bit too small--after I'd cartridge pleated the skrt and sewn it onto the bottom edge. The only reasonable answer, since I was planning to be an utter tart and wear it without a shift due to the fantastical sheer sleeves, was a placket with an extra skirt pannel.

The sleeves came from a weirdly shaped piece of synthetic organza from my stash. I believe I cut into it at some point but never got around to the project. I cut it up into likely looking pieces and prayed that it wouldn't unravel completely before I finished gathering it into bands of the brocade. It was kind of a pain in the butt, but it's the color of moonlight, so I guess it was worth it.

I used 3/8" plastic rings sewn inside the back edges approximately every inch to lace it shut. Please forgive the black hockey lace. I showed up to Pirate Prom only to realize I'd lost my pretty green ribbon on the way....

No comments:

Post a Comment